Any time you go to a conference you can expect to bring back strange stuff. Exhibitors want to get your attention and also to remember them after you leave, so you wind up with things like notebooks, coffee mugs, pens and logoed rubber duckies.
Past giveaways from the Financial Blogger Conference have been well received. This year I’m able to give away two such packages: one with just stuff from the Expo Hall and one of all the exhibitors’ tchotchkes plus goodies from the Plutus Awards.
The former is possible because my daughter, who also attended (and who also won a Plutus) was willing to donate some of her Expo items. But let’s start with the ever-so-slightly nicer bag first.
The Plutus Award winners were given a trophy, a certificate and a sturdy little backpack filled with this and that. The backpack isn’t large enough to carry everything you need for a three-day trek to the wilderness. But it would make a great day pack or child’s school backpack (if the kid didn’t mind having a “State Farm” logo on it). Or perhaps you could fill it with emergency items and leave it in the trunk of your car.
Among the other items in the bag:
- Water bottle: This h2go bfree bottle holds 20 ounces and is BPA-free. Courtesy of the online coupon site Savings.com.
- Insulated drinking glass: It’s BPA-free, with a tight lid and a straw that cannot fall out, and bears the Ally Bank logo.
- Wireless mouse: This one’s also from Ally Bank.
- Emergency mobile device battery: Yet another treat from Ally, this works for most cell phones, game consoles, digital cameras, MP3 players and Bluetooth headsets.
- Mobile device charger: It plugs into your car’s cigarette lighter, apparently. Don’t thank me, thank Fidelity Investment.
- Retirement guide: “How Much Money Do I Need to Retire?” is part of Todd Tresidder’s “60-Minute Financial Solutions” series.
- Notebooks!: A ledger-sized one with lined sheets from the online investing site Betterment, a medium-sized one with its own pen from State Farm and a small one from Savings.com.
- Reusable shopping bags: You can never have too many of these things. One is from Chase and the other from EverBank.
- T-shirts: A navy blue one from Betterment and a white one advertising Savings.com’s new grocery app, Favado.
- Corkscrew: This Bankrate.com item looks like a Swiss Army knife that went on a diet, i.e., it has only a very sturdy corkscrew and a small blade for cutting a bottle’s seal. (I could be wrong about that since I never drink…wine.)
- Light-up ball: This clear rubber ball, with an Experian logo, has a map of the world inside and flashes a strobe-like red light when it’s bounced. Way cool! It may drive your cat crazy, though.
- Stress pig: This cute little reproduction of a piggy bank has a Chase logo. My anthropomorphism instinct kicked in big-time, so there’s no way could I squeeze it. For me, the stress relief would come from looking at its soft pink cuteness and maybe rubbing it between its ears.
A few other items are in the bottom of the backpack but I’m not going to list them all. You’ll just have to be surprised. If you win, that is. For your chance(s), do one or all of the following:
- Leave a comment below
- Subscribe via e-mail or Feedburner
- Sign up to follow Surviving and Thriving on Twitter or Facebook
If you do any (or all!) of these things, please leave separate, additional comments to get credit for each entry.
The deadline is 7 p.m. PDT Wednesday, Oct. 30. If I don’t hear back from the winners by 7 p.m. PDT Thursday, Oct. 31, I’ll pull another name.
Note: Due to the high cost of international shipping, a winner outside the United States will be given a choice of gift cards in lieu of the box and it will go up for grabs again.